As a top-notch employee, it’s in your best interest to display professionalism at all times. In doing so, you’ll increase your job security, inherently command respect from your coworkers, and impress your boss. And if you follow the proper office etiquette, you’ll advance your career to new heights of success.
Keep these five office etiquette rules in mind to help you put your best foot forward:
1. Dress appropriately. Always wear clothing that’s appropriate for your office. Wear modest, conservative apparel. Dress neatly. Remember that what you wear says a lot about who you are, and you want your clothing to take a backseat to your expertise and knowledge about the job.
* Always ensure that your clothes are ironed, clean, and stain-free.
* Keep in mind that your grooming habits have a lot to do with the way others perceive you at work. If you look and smell dirty, colleagues will flee from your presence.
2. Respect the higher-ups. You have to earn your respect from the management in your company. Treat those above you with the utmost respect, and go above and beyond the call of your job description when appropriate.
3. Treat your coworkers with respect. Regardless of your personal differences, keep interactions with coworkers cordial and professional. Speak to your office mates the way you wish to be spoken to, and you’ll garner the respect of your colleagues.
* If you and your coworker are having a spat, keep a professional tone and demeanor when you discuss the matter with them. If a coworker lashes out at you, they’ll be the one to pay the price, so keep your cool.
4. Always give your best effort. One of the simplest ways to stand out from the crowd is to give your best effort from the moment you walk into the door each morning. While others only do enough to get by, you’ll stand out from the crowd for your efforts.
* Be willing to admit when you lack the information necessary to perform a task that’s requested of you. Ask plenty of questions. When you do, you’ll stand head and shoulders above everyone else in your office.
5. Be enthusiastic. If you wear a smile on your face and speak with a cheerful voice, the people who matter will notice you in your company. If you feel less than chipper, fake it until the feelings follow. Your day will go more smoothly, you’ll be more productive, and you’ll make a lasting impression on the management of your company.
Above all, strive to provide top quality work each and every day. Do it with a smile, and demonstrate a willingness to go above and beyond the call of duty.
In most workplaces, nine out of 10 people seek to merely slide by while performing as little work as possible. It’s easy to stand out in a positive way when you follow these five tips. When you do, the career success you crave is right around the corner.