Almost everyone that has reached middle age wants to look younger without succumbing to drastic surgery or painful injections. Luckily, there are some things you can do right now that will help you have a younger – and healthier – appearance.
1. Stop Smoking. Need I say more? Not only is smoking a major contributor to cancer, heart disease and a host of other illnesses it will age you like nothing else. Smoking causes excess wrinkles, a graying pallor to your skin and it makes you smell bad!
2. Treasure Your Sleep. Sleeping rejuvenates your body and when you get enough of it, you’ll wake feeling refreshed and energized which, in itself, will make you appear more youthful. You’ll also have a nice glow to your skin and no puffy bags under your eyes. But how much is enough? There is no “one size fits all” amount – you’ll have to figure out how much is right for you but generally around 7 or 8 hours is what most people find works. It is important to get deep uninterrupted sleep as the deeper sleep is what really rejuvenates you.
3. Eat Your Fruits And Veggies. Fruits and vegetables have powerful antioxidants that can actually help slow the aging process. The fiber will help keep you “regular” and the added water content will help keep your skin looking luminous. Plus all the vitamins and minerals will help keep your immune system strong allowing you to fight off disease and have a healthier life.
4. Take Care Of Your Hair. Eating right will help your hair keep it’s shine and good looks but if you have a good hair style, this can literally take years off your appearance. This is especially true for women but men should try to go with a trendy – age appropriate cut as well. Contrary to what you might think, keeping your hair long as you get older does not make you look younger. It actually can add years to your appearance! Go for a stylish haircut that compliments the shape of your face and don’t be afraid to add some highlights to mask out those grays!
5. Sit Up Straight. Good posture can make you appear more youthful while bad posture will make you look older. In fact, if you practice good posture it could help you look 10 years younger and 10 pounds lighter! When you have good posture you appear confident and happy plus it helps to reduce muscle strain and back problems.
6. Get Enough Exercise. Getting enough exercise doesn’t have to mean grueling aerobic workouts every day. You want to incorporate some aerobic activity – walking, swimming, tennis etc… as well as strength training and stretching. Yoga and Pilates are great exercises to keep those muscles stretched and toned which is very important as you age. Exercising will give you a energetic youthful appearance, help keep your weight off and will also help you keep your muscle tone as well as good balance as you age. This is critical as you get into your golden years since one of the main problems that happens to the elderly is falling which is mainly due to bad balance.
7. Take Care Of Your Teeth. Good dental hygiene is important not only for your health but for your looks too. Many people don’t realize that problems with your gums and teeth can actually have adverse affects on other organs in your body so it’s critical to go to those dental visits every 6 months and have the recommended work to keep your teeth and gums healthy. Have nice straight, white teeth can do a lot to improve your youthful appearance.
8. Keep Your Weight Down. Excess pounds adds years to your appearance and also is a contributor to many health problems including diabetes, heart disease and cancer so why no keep your weight down as you age? It does take a little bit of work, but you’ll feel and look so much better!